Over the last few weeks, I have seen a couple of different posts about what is great in certain locations or how you can tell someone is from a certain city. I decided to try my hand at it too, if you have other reasons that let people know you might be from the Quad Cities please leave them in the comments.
You Might Be From the Quad Cities if ….
1. You can name the Quad Cities … all 5 or 8 or even more of them depending on who you are talking to at the time. Moline, East Moline, Rock Island, Davenport, Bettendorf, Silvis, Eldridge …
2. People get lost because you tell them to take the 23rd Avenue exit off of Interstate 24. What kind of name for a street is Avenue of the Cities??
3. You still go to concerts at the “Mark.” I honestly can’t tell you the current name of our local arena.
4. If you go to visit some one in the hospital at Mercy, St. Luke’s or Franciscan. Old habits are hard to break and they don’t force you to know geography either.
5. You know that KSTT was on Twinkie Blvd. Or for that matter who Spike at the Mike is or what any of this may mean…
6. You know that we have two seasons here, WINTER and Bridge Construction/Repair.
7. You have ever driven over a bridge and said “They call that a river?”
8. You may not know what instrument Bix played, but the guy was a heck of a runner…
9. You think High School Sports is King, this is the home of Wharton Field House, Almquist Field and Brady Street Stadium just to mention a few of the places that have seen millions of people sit in their seats to see high school rivalries at their best. It is my contention this area would have only one surviving newspaper were it not for the high school sports coverage that is needed from both sides of the river.
10. And Finally You might be from the Quad Cities if you have ever planned a weekend home for yourself or family and friends around food… places such as Whitey’s, Happy Joe’s Harris, Rudy’s, Hungry Hobo, Adolph’s and Ross’.
What did I miss?